Saturday, October 4, 2008

Grandmotherhood is Grand

Our first grandchild, Evie Mikell Palmer, was born 23 Sep. 2008 at 8:24am. She weighed 8lbs. 1oz. and was 20 inches long. I would like to have been there when Brooke had her. Brooke called about midnight and told me she was at the hospital to stay. No being sent home this time. I was too tired to drive all night to get to Provo from Gilbert, AZ. Of course, I couldn't sleep either after her call anyway. Perry was in Austin on a business trip, so I got the kids off to school in the morning and Carissa and I took off for Provo. We got there at 7:30 that evening. Being a grandmother is all it's cracked up to be. Seeing little Evie for the first time and knowing she is mine, a generation and a delivery once removed, is indescribable joy. It's so much easier having a grandchild than a child. Evie is beautiful. She wasn't due to arrive until the first of October, but she is a healthy, good-sized little girl with a head full of dark hair. What a joy to behold.
The new mom and dad were worn out. They had been up all night the night before. Carissa and I stayed at the hospital that night so Brandon could go home and get some sleep. Evie stayed in the room with us the whole night. She slept from midnight to about 7:00am. That first night she didn't really cry. She made squeaky noises and little squeals. She was a little bit better at crying by the time we left to go home a week later, but she's not a fussy baby. She is very good-natured. I think Brooke was able to rest some, too, as much as is possible in a hospital. Then Brooke and Evie were released to go home by 9:00pm the second night.
Carissa and I were able to stay a week and help out around the house and hold little Evie every chance we got. I am thankful that we could stay and spend some time with the new little family. Brandon is a very good dad and loves to help care for his sweet little girl. Brooke is doing well and getting her energy and strength back quickly. Evie has started training her parents in what to expect from a newborn, from nighttime feedings to soiling the new diaper before you can get the velcro fastened. All is going just about perfect so far.


1 comment:

Merissa said...

Congrats to Grandma and Mom! She is so cute!