Zack went on his first overnighter as a twelve year old this weekend. They went on a snow campout up in the mountains. Their were only six scouts and three leaders when I dropped him off at the church with all his gear. I'm thinking one leader to two scouts is a good ratio. A mom can feel good about that. I was worried about him going off to camp in the snow coming off his recent illness. I prayed that he would be warm enough. He is still just a little skeleton of a guy. He broke his glasses in a snowball fight before they went to bed Friday night. He moved out of his tent to the other boys' tent because the two boys in his tent went to sleep at 10:00 o'clock, and the other boys were up talking and having fun. His broken glasses fell out of his pants pocket while they were sledding Saturday morning. He said his snow pants kept falling down every time he slid down the hill even though he cinched up the velcro waist bands as far as they would go. He left the money I gave him to buy lunch on the way home in his pants pocket at home. He arrived back home with no glasses (or pieces of glasses), a runny nose, and just about everything he took was soaking wet, including the season of X-files DVDs that he slipped in his backpack while I wasn't looking. He said he got about three hours of sleep, not because he was cold but because they stayed up talking all night. My question is, "Is he old enough to do this?" Needless to say, he had a wonderful time and can't wait for their next campout.
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Age is relative-A mother's perspective
When Zack was six Perry was a Bear Cub Scout leader. All those boys that came over for cub scouts seemed so much older than Zack. Then a couple of years later Zack became a Cub Scout and it seemed like he was too young to be handling a pocketknife and learning to shoot arrows and BB guns. When Zack was a Wolf Cub Scout I was his leader and the boys were still so young to be going off to day camp all day long. (Or maybe I was just too old to be spending a whole day with a bunch of cub scouts). And the eleven year old scouts were so much older. Then Zack turned eleven and he seemed too young to be going on an overnight campout, but at least his dad was with him. And the twelve year old scouts were so much older. Now Zack is a twelve year old scout going on campouts once a month. Can he be old enough to do that? And those fourteen year old boys getting their Eagles are so much older.
Zack went on his first overnighter as a twelve year old this weekend. They went on a snow campout up in the mountains. Their were only six scouts and three leaders when I dropped him off at the church with all his gear. I'm thinking one leader to two scouts is a good ratio. A mom can feel good about that. I was worried about him going off to camp in the snow coming off his recent illness. I prayed that he would be warm enough. He is still just a little skeleton of a guy. He broke his glasses in a snowball fight before they went to bed Friday night. He moved out of his tent to the other boys' tent because the two boys in his tent went to sleep at 10:00 o'clock, and the other boys were up talking and having fun. His broken glasses fell out of his pants pocket while they were sledding Saturday morning. He said his snow pants kept falling down every time he slid down the hill even though he cinched up the velcro waist bands as far as they would go. He left the money I gave him to buy lunch on the way home in his pants pocket at home. He arrived back home with no glasses (or pieces of glasses), a runny nose, and just about everything he took was soaking wet, including the season of X-files DVDs that he slipped in his backpack while I wasn't looking. He said he got about three hours of sleep, not because he was cold but because they stayed up talking all night. My question is, "Is he old enough to do this?" Needless to say, he had a wonderful time and can't wait for their next campout.
Zack went on his first overnighter as a twelve year old this weekend. They went on a snow campout up in the mountains. Their were only six scouts and three leaders when I dropped him off at the church with all his gear. I'm thinking one leader to two scouts is a good ratio. A mom can feel good about that. I was worried about him going off to camp in the snow coming off his recent illness. I prayed that he would be warm enough. He is still just a little skeleton of a guy. He broke his glasses in a snowball fight before they went to bed Friday night. He moved out of his tent to the other boys' tent because the two boys in his tent went to sleep at 10:00 o'clock, and the other boys were up talking and having fun. His broken glasses fell out of his pants pocket while they were sledding Saturday morning. He said his snow pants kept falling down every time he slid down the hill even though he cinched up the velcro waist bands as far as they would go. He left the money I gave him to buy lunch on the way home in his pants pocket at home. He arrived back home with no glasses (or pieces of glasses), a runny nose, and just about everything he took was soaking wet, including the season of X-files DVDs that he slipped in his backpack while I wasn't looking. He said he got about three hours of sleep, not because he was cold but because they stayed up talking all night. My question is, "Is he old enough to do this?" Needless to say, he had a wonderful time and can't wait for their next campout.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like a boy! Glad he's feeling better!
LOL... must be hard to watch them grow up and do things that are deemed irresponsible. Hopefully he can learn from his mistakes and make his next trip a bit more pleasant... that is why we have these experiences, right? To learn and grow... just keep telling yourself that when he goes again. ;-)
Post a Comment